What's in your bookmarks bar?
So apparently I’m not the only one who fills up the bookmarks bar of my browser with lots of frequently-used and aggressively abbreviated bookmarks.
Recent tools for managing links (Better browser history, Google desktop, Quicksilver, del.icio.us, etc) make fastidious categorisation of bookmarks a thing of the past, or at least somewhere past the point of diminishing returns. But there are still some benefits to be had from spending some time making your most-used bookmarks easily accessible. Here is the current set from my home browser, purged of work sites that aren’t really of interest here.
- ↑ - Goes “up” a level. Surprisingly handy for navigating around 404 errors. Not really needed on Firefox, where the Link Toolbar extension is teh win.
- Doc - A folder with bunch of links to locally-stored HTML documentation. Especially handy for Javadoc.
- amazon - Great source of album cover art.
- arwiki - A personal wiki site. I’m finding this very handy for storing notes and such. Must blog about this some time…
- bb - BoingBoing obviously. Required daily reading.
- blogs - Bloglines of course.
- CcLeche - Elliote Rusty Harold’s excellent XML news site. I used to do a lot more XML stuff and this was daily reading. It’s mainly here now because he doesn’t have an RSS feed.
- del.icio.us - Nuff said.
- eBay - I have a great eBay story to tell … soon.
- engadget - Great way to kill an idle few moments.
- Gmail - Don’t really need this here because of the various Gmail notifiers I have installed, but I can’t bear to take it off.
- gmailit - A damn handy bookmarklet. Gmails a link to the current page. Stolen from here.
- girtby - a folder with links to this website, the admin pages, etc
- groups - Believe it or not, there are still some topics worth reading on usenet.
- meme - Jumped the shark really, but still worth a read occasionally.
- smh - My main news outlet these days, for better or worse.
- /. - As seen on TV.
- tv - As seen on slashdot.
- Y! - For when you don’t have dashboard handy
- wikipedia - Can’t think of a good way to shorten this (‘pedia? W-pedia? wikip?)
What’s in your bookmarks bar?