If you're reading this in a feed aggregator, click on through to enjoy the beautiful new theme that I have spent hours slaving over.
OK it's the same as the old theme, but don't let that stop you from having a look. The new theme means that I am finally settling into my new digs, namely the Mephisto blogging engine.
As regular readers will know, late last year I needed to migrate away from Typo, and Mephisto seemed to require the least effort. The migration was (relatively) seamless, and the new platform is a pleasant surprise. It's better than Typo in many ways, having:
- a powerful model of page and article structure that resembles a lightweight CMS;
- themes based on the liquid template engine and are easy to install and manage;
- AJAXy comment moderation;
- much more active development (and one of the main developers is also a rails committer);
- much less resource usage (with a thumbs-up from my hosting provider); and
- plugins (not as easy to use as wordpress, but plugins nonetheless).
Notwithstanding this there are still some niggling problems, the most visible of which is an intermittent fault which causes a generic Mephisto error "Status: 500 Internal Server Error". If you see this, please be aware that I know about it and am monitoring it. If you get it while trying to post a comment (sigh), just email me.
In slightly tangential news, I'm exploring the use of SVK to manage the Mephisto codebase and my changes. So far it looks pretty powerful, and I will report back after further investigation.
One more thing: I'm at linux.conf.au this week. If you are too, let's meet.